Friday, May 17, 2013

Brown Thrashers: Will they nest in my backyard again?

Brown Thrashers are the First of the Season bird of the day in my Regina, Saskatchewan, backyard. I saw a flash of rust-brown in the lilac trees, and then it flew away — but my luck held and it soon came back to peck at seeds strewn by House Sparrows on the ground.

Last year, a pair of Brown Thrashers nested somewhere nearby. For several days, we saw an adult keeping watch on the top of the garage, and then one morning, an adult walked the fledgling across the yard to the seeds. So cool to see the young birds greed and grey eyes! (The adults's eyes are stunning gold.)

I hope there is a nest again. And if there is, I hope I see the young Brown Thrashers this year, too.

Brown Thrasher. Photo  © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
Brown Thrasher - look at those elegant legs!   © SB
Brown Thrasher. Photo  © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
Brown Thrasher, posing for backyard photo © SB
Brown Thrasher. Photo  © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
I'd love to know what the Brown Thrasher is looking at... © SB

What is this? A Brown Thrasher.
Location: Backyard, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.  

Photo date: May 17, 2013.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...