Sunday, April 14, 2013

First Western Meadowlark of the year, Qu'Appelle Valley

Western Meadowlark. Photo © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
Western Meadowlark in the valley © SB
Western Meadowlarks are back in Saskatchewan. We saw one yesterday along Rte 99, east of Craven in the Qu'Appelle Valley, and then heard another singing several kilometres on. (Still snow in the fields, so roadsides might be the best place to see many spring birds.)

These native birds, while not true larks (as opposed to the Horned Larks, for those who are into such things), are amazing songbirds, and their trills and melodies were among the first I learned when I started watching for Saskatchewan birds.

I love the sound so much that I once taped a Western Meadowlark singing, over the wind in Grasslands National Park. (With my little Flip camera. And did I mention the wind?)

The song of the Western Meadowlark means summer on the prairies to me, and the sight of their bright yellow V-marked throats makes me happy.

I'm also impressed by their camouflage markings... When I got home and downloaded my pictures, I had to search to figure out which one had the tiny Meadowlark, hidden in dead grasses!

Western Meadowlark. Photo © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
Look left, then right, then cross the road. © SB

What are these? Western Meadowlarks.
Location: Near Craven, Saskatchewan, Canada.  
Photo dates: April 13, 2013.

~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Home Meadowlark!! I have yet to see one and hope to one day. Great find!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...