Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blue Damselflies in the Garden

Glowing brown eyes of a blue damselfly © SB
Blue damselflies have arrived in my Regina backyard, feeding on (something in?) the grass and oregano.

I managed to get a couple of pictures of these quickly flitting — and very tiny (so difficult to focus)  insects. 

There are many kinds of damselflies. This, I know, because I have a copy of Dragonflies and Damselflies in the Hand. (Hutchings and Halstead, Nature Saskatchewan.)

And that book's focus is Saskatchewan's Boreal Forest, for which it lists at least nine kinds of damselflies; who knows how many others are here in the south of the province, on the Prairie? 

Well, someone no doubt does   just not me.

So when I write, Blue, please understand that I mean Blue in its most generic, colour-descriptive sense. Because these are  Blue

Except for their oddly yellow-brown eyes. 

Blue damselfly on grass blade © SB  


What are these?  Blue damselflies   
Location: Backyard, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Photo date: June 28, 2012.  

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...